Jefferson Historic District

AL 28, Jefferson, Alabama

A historic district in the small community of Jefferson, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

The Jefferson Historic District is a historic district in the small community of Jefferson, Alabama. The community was founded in 1810. The district consists of thirteen Greek Revival buildings that were selected for inclusion due their significance as examples of the pre-Civil War plantation economy of the Deep South. Some of the buildings included in the district are the Lewis Simmons house (1856), James Aldridge house, Basil Grant house (1855), Dr. James Hildreth house (1848), Frederick Westbrook house (1843), W.L. Kelley house, James Richard Bryan house (1848), Jefferson United Methodist Church (1856), and Jefferson Baptist Church (1860).

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 13, 1976
Reference number
76000342
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Religious structure; Single dwelling
Current functions
Religious structure; Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1845
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 13
Non-contributing buildings: 10

Update Log 

  • May 26, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources