Port Townsend Historic District

Roughly bounded by Scott, Blaine, Walker, and Taft Sts., and the Waterfront, Port Townsend, Washington

Map 

Description 

Once a customs station on Puget Sound, the town flourished in the 1880s, but collapsed in the 1889 land speculation debacle. The district contains many fine late 19th-century commercial and residential structures. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, May 5, 1977

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 17, 1976
Reference number
76001883
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Victorian
Areas of significance
Commerce; Transportation; Exploration/Settlement; Politics/Government; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Department store; Hotel; Single dwelling; Restaurant; Specialty store; Warehouse; Financial institution; Business
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1858; 1890
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 760