Jackson Ward Historic District

Roughly bounded by 5th, Marshall, and Gilmer Sts., and the Richmond-Petersburg Tpke., Richmond, Virginia

Map 

Description 

This fine 19th century residential neighborhood is significant as the hub of Black professional and entrepreneurial activities in the city and the State. Fraternal organizations, cooperative banks, insurance companies and other commercial and social institutions that figure prominently in that era bore fruit here; individuals of exceptional vision and talent--such as Maggie Walker, John Mitchell, W.W. Browne, and Giles B. Jackson--lived and worked here. The Maggie L. Walker National Historic Site is within the district. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, June 2, 1978

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 30, 1976
Reference number
76002187
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian: Italianate; Victorian
Areas of significance
Commerce; Education; Ethnic Heritage - Black; Architecture; Politics/Government; Social History; Religion
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949; 1825-1849; 1950-1974
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 600

Sources