Bay Port Historic Commercial Fishing District

Off MI 25, Bay Port, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Bay Port Fishing District

The Gillingham Fish Company was established in 1886; the Bay Port Fish Company, in 1895. At their peak in the 1920s and 1930s, they shipped tons of perch, walleye, herring, whitefish and carp to New York and Chicago in refrigerated railroad cars. Once known as one of the largest fresh water commercial fishing ports in the world, Bay Port retains a commercial fishery that operates much as it did in the past. Bay Port also offers sport fishing, water skiing, ice fishing and hunting.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 22, 1977
Reference number
77000714
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Fishing facility or site
Current function
Fishing facility or site
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
ca. 1920
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Sources