Northern Michigan Asylum

Also known as: Traverse City State Hospital Historic District
Bounded by C & O RR tracks, Division and 11th Sts., Elmwood Ave., Orange and Red Drs., Traverse City, Michigan

Map 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Traverse City Regional Psychiatric Hospital

The northern Michigan Asylum (now the Traverse City Regional Psychiatric Hospital) was organized in 1881. It opened on November 30, 1885, with forty three residents. Dr. J. D. Munson was the facility's superintendent for its first thirty-nine years. The original buildings served five hundred residents. By 1959 the facility had 1.4 million square feet of floor space and housed 2,956 residents. The institution's farms and its processing and manufacturing facilities covered over a thousand acres and made it nearly self-sufficient. Between 1885 and 1985 it served over fifty thousand residents. After 1960, with advances in treatment and community services, the need for in-patient facilities declined. In 1985 one hundred and fifty beds served the area's acute and intensive psychiatric needs.

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 3, 1978
Reference number
78001499
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Health/Medicine; Education; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Hospital
Current function
Hospital
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1885
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 15
Non-contributing buildings: 10

Sources