Liberty Hill Historic District

SC 97, Liberty Hill, South Carolina

Photos 

Joseph Cunningham House

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

A small rural community located on a high plateau, Liberty Hill visually and historically reflects both the life-style and the architecture of the pre-Civil War period as well as the turn of the twentieth century. There are several imposing Greek Revival structures, Greek Revival cottages, and an 1880s vernacular Gothic Revival church. The later, turn of the century residences are primarily one-stop, simple clapboard cottages. The town’s history begins as early as ca. 1813 when Peter Garlick’s store (location unknown) was a gathering place for surrounding farmers. Soon, impressive structures were built by planters in the area. Remaining from the 1830s are Cool Spring and the Joseph Cunningham House. The majority of the town’s antebellum buildings, however, were built ca. 1840-1850. During this period Liberty Hill was a very wealthy community. However, the final days of the Civil War ended that prosperity. Nevertheless, the town did eventually reassert itself and appears to have changed very little since the beginning of the twentieth century. Listed in the National Register November 8, 1978. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 14, 1978
Reference number
78002519
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1840; 1850; 1865
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 34
Contributing structures: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 10
Non-contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • September 17, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 17, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources