Bennettsville Historic District

Irregular pattern along Main St. from Everett to Lindsey and from Parsonage to Murchison, Bennettsville, South Carolina

Photos 

Marlboro County Courthouse

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Established as the county seat in 1819, Bennettsville continues to serve as a political and economic center for Marlboro County. The historic district includes the central part of town, where the majority of the residential, commercial, religious, and public buildings date from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The courthouse continues to be the focal point of the town, although it is the third on the site (built 1885) and was extensively altered in 1951. Bennettsville has numerous excellent examples of residential architecture dating from the early nineteenth to mid-twentieth century. Styles and types include the upcountry farmhouse, Greek Revival, Queen Anne, Beaux Arts, and bungalows. Listed in the National Register April 20, 1978; Boundary increase June 3, 1993. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 20, 1978
Reference number
78002525
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Beaux Arts; Victorian: Queen Anne
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Business
Current functions
Single dwelling; Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
ca. 1880; 1920
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 187
Non-contributing buildings: 23

Update Log 

  • September 26, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 26, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources