J. C. Penney Historic District

J. C. Penney Ave. and S. Main St., Kemmerer, Wyoming

Map 

Street View 

Description 

James Cash Penney stands tall in the history of American retailing. Although not the first to establish a chain of department stores, he was the first to do so on a national scale. It started in Kemmerer in 1902, when he opened his Golden Rule Emporium. Handling only merchandise that had a general demand and selling only for cash (it was, after all, his middle name), Penney achieved great success and soon expanded operations to other small towns. By 1928, the J.C. Penney Company had 1,023 stores across the country. This district inlcudes the Golden Rule Store and the small frame cottage where the Penneys lived from 1901 to 1909. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, June 2, 1978

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 2, 1978
Reference number
78002830
NR name
Penney, J. C., Historic District
Area of significance
Commerce
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Department store; Single dwelling; Restaurant
Current functions
Business; Restaurant
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1902; 1909
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4

Tags 

20th Century (29,076)
Built 1902 (810)
Built during 1900s (9,441)
District (10,509)
Have Street View (46,304)
Kemmerer, Wyoming (6)
Lincoln County, Wyoming (15)
Marble (1,154)
Moved (2,194)
National Historic Landmark (2,195)
Stone (26,160)
Wyoming (571)

Update Log 

  • September 6, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources