Jaite Mill Historic District

SE of Brecksville at Riverview and Vaughan Rds., Brecksville, Ohio

Photos 

Company Store & Post Office

Workers house on left.

Photo taken by Jim Allen in May 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The district includes a paper mill, now gone, on the east side of the Cuyahoga River (Summit Co.), and a companey town on the west side of the river (Cuyahoga Co.). The buildings in the town are now used for the Cuyahoga Valley National Park headquarters.

The mill operated from 1906 till 1984. It burned in 1992 and was demolished in 2006. One machine was left.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 21, 1979
Reference number
79000288
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Classic Eclectic
Area of significance
Industry
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Rail-related; Single dwelling
Current functions
Rail-related; Single dwelling
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant years
1903; 1905; 1917
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 11

Tags 

20th Century (29,077)
Brecksville, Ohio (11)
Brick (42,457)
Built 1903 (752)
Built during 1900s (8,841)
District (10,142)
Ohio (5,056)
Private owner (54,396)

Update Log 

  • July 24, 2014: New photos from Jim Allen
  • May 31, 2014: Updated by Jim Allen: Added description

Related landmarks 

Sources