Reedy River Industrial District

Also known as: Huguenot Mill, Greenville Coach Factory, Markley Carriage Fact
Along Reedy River between River St. and Camperdown Way, Greenville, South Carolina

Photos 

Reedy River Industrial District

Photo taken by Michael Miller in February 2021

Enlarge

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The Reedy River Industrial Complex is the only area in downtown Greenville which has maintained its historic and architectural character as a nineteenth and early twentieth century industrial and commercial district. Featuring six industrial or commercial structures constructed between 1850 and 1914, the Reedy River Industrial Complex represents Greenville’s transition from a nineteenth century summer resort and agricultural village into a leading international textile center. Visually connected by the Reedy River, these structures were historically developed as portions of a related industrial complex which served the Greenville Coach - Markley Carriage Factory and the Huguenot Mill. The contributing resources include: the Greenville Coach Factory Blacksmith Shop (ca. 1850); the Markley Carriage Factory Paint Shop (prior to 1915); the Markley Hardware Store (between 1905 and 1914); the Huguenot Mill (1882); the Huguenot Mill Office (ca. 1890-1900); and the Cotton Warehouse (between 1908-1913). Listed in the National Register January 14, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 14, 1979
Reference number
79002383
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Manufacturing facility
Current function
Manufacturing facility
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 6

Update Log 

  • February 22, 2021: New photos from Michael Miller
  • September 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources