Northport Historic District

25th, 26th, 28th and 30th Aves., Main, 5th, and 6th Sts., Northport, Alabama

Map 

Description 

This structure represents the railroads in the District and the vital part they played in opening up mining areas, moving raw materials to processing plants and finished goods to markets. / This curved wooden trestle bridge with steel center span stretches across the Warrior River between Tuscaloosa and Northport, serving as the western boundary of the commercial portion of the Northport National Register Historic District. After crossing the Warrior River on a series of concrete reinforced sandstone piers, the trestle bridge -- a two deck truss with a through truss -- passes through a city park and just west of the site of Alabama's second Capitol, now Capitol Park, headed to the M. & O. Shop and Yard, and points beyond. -- Historic American Engineering Record (HAER AL-12)

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 1, 1980
Reference number
80000736
Architectural style
Mixed architectural types
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Department store; Religious structure; Single dwelling; Restaurant; Specialty store; Warehouse; Business
Current functions
Religious structure; Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1840; 1925
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 103
Non-contributing buildings: 31

Sources