History: Built in 1865. Bowman-Carter Hall is and has traditionally been a residence hall for women. It was named originally in honor of Cornell's founder, George Bowman, who had raised part of the cost of the new building. In 1989, as a result of a generous gift from Archie Carter and his wife, Marie, extensive renovations were begun, including the erection of the south and west stair towers, completed in 1990. In 1934, the fan-shaped sun parlor on the east side was replaced by a rectangular sun parlor, which in 1936 was extended southward to enlarge the dining hall to accommodate men from the newly opened Merner dormitory. The Second World War brought the Naval Flight Preparatory School to Cornell's campus and men into Bowman's hitherto sacrosanct rooms (January 1943 - October 1944).
Photo taken by Dave King
View this photo at panoramio.com