Hickory Valley Historic District

Also known as: Hickory Valley
Roughly bounded by Ireland Creek, Jeffries Blvd., Wichman, Verdier and Ivanhoe Sts., Walterboro, South Carolina

Photos 

334 Wichman St.

Constructed: ca. 1910

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Hickory Valley Historic District is comprised of nineteen properties reflecting the diversity of Walterboro’s heritage. The majority of the properties in the district are residences constructed between 1821 and 1929 which includes a concentration of early homes dating from Walterboro’s heyday as a pineland resort village for lowcountry planters. The architectural styles in the district include Federal, Greek Revival, Victorian carpenter, Neo-Classical and Federal Revival. The district is important historically for its associations with Walterboro’s founders as well as with several generations of prominent Walterboro families. Listed in the National Register November 21, 1980. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 21, 1980
Reference number
80003666
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Federal Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current functions
Single dwelling; Clinic
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1925-1949
Significant years
1821; 1930
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 16
Non-contributing buildings: 5

Update Log 

  • August 20, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • August 8, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources