Laws Narrow Gauge Railroad Historic District

Also known as: Bishop Station, Laws Station
NE of Bishop, Bishop, California

Photos 

Laws RR Museum

Photo taken by Richard Doody in 1995

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"LAWS NARROW GAUGE RAILROAD STATION AND YARD - In 1883, the Carson & Colorado Railroad was built between Mound House (near Carson City, Nevada) through Laws to Keeler, California, a distance of 300 miles. Laws Station was named in honor of Mr. R. J. Laws, Assistant Superintendent of the railroad. Between 1883 and about 1915, this railroad provided the only dependable means of transportation in and out of Owens Valley. Train service was stopped on April 30, 1960." - California Historic Landmark No.953

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1981
Reference number
81000149
Areas of significance
Industry; Archeology - Non-Aboriginal; Transportation
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
District
Historic function
Rail-related
Current function
Museum
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1883; 1920
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Contributing structures: 5
Contributing objects: 3

Update Log 

  • March 27, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Add historical information
  • May 13, 2018: New photos from Richard Doody

Sources