Alcorn State University Historic District

Alcorn State University campus, Lorman, Mississippi

Photos 

Alcorn State University, Literary Society Building

Northwest front

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

The last remaining lyceum on the campus, the building was originally occupied by Oakland College, the first collegiate institution in Mississippi. Its successor, Alcorn State University, was the first landgrant college for Blacks in the Nation, established in 1878. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MS-201)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 20, 1982
Reference number
82003098
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival; Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Federal
Areas of significance
Ethnic Heritage - Black; Education; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
District
Historic function
College
Current function
College
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant year
1871
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 7
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Sources