Cainhoy Historic District

Also known as: Cainhoy, Lewisville, Louisville
SE of Huger, Huger, South Carolina

Photos 

Village Store/Blacksmith Shop

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Cainhoy Historic District is composed of a collection of nine major buildings which range in date from the mid-eighteenth century through the early twentieth century. This group of buildings serves as an illustration of the cultural and architectural development of the village from a ferry landing to a small but thriving river port. Each building is a vernacular specimen from its respective period, and collectively, with the contributory structures and buildings, preserves the fabric of an early river port and ferry community. The origin of the name “Cainhoy” is not documented, however it is locally considered to have been associated with an earlier Native American village. The first white settlers in the area were primarily Scottish Presbyterian and French Huguenot farmers who eked out a bare existence on land so dry and barren as to be worth hardly a dollar an acre in 1826. Later settlers were attracted by those same dry conditions and located their homes there away from the unhealthy swamps. Cainhoy’s significance lies in its role as an early transportation link between inland Berkeley County and Charleston and in its fine collection of early buildings. In 1876 Cainhoy was the site of a political rally for Wade Hampton which degenerated into a brawl between blacks and whites. Christened the “Cainhoy Massacre,” the incident left seven men dead and sixteen wounded. Listed in the National Register on March 11, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 11, 1982
Reference number
82003832
Architectural style
Federal
Areas of significance
Transportation; Ethnic Heritage - Black; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 9
Non-contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing objects: 1

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 2, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street Views"
  • July 2, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources