McClellanville Historic District

Pinckney, Lofton, Charlotte, Church, Water, Oak, Venning, Legare, Morrison, and Scotia Sts., McClellanville, South Carolina

Photos 

William Beckman House, S. Pinckney St.

Constructed: ca. 1886

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The McClellanville Historic District contains a collection of approximately 105 residential, commercial, religious and educational properties dating from ca. 1860 to ca. 1935. This collection is architecturally significant as an illustration of the founding of a pineland resort village and its development into a small but stable year-round commercial fishing village. McClellanville begin in the late 1850s as a summer retreat for St. James Santee and Georgetown planters. The prevailing vernacular forms, especially the central hall farmhouse, predominated in early McClellanville architecture, although the more fashionable architectural styles began to receive attention and can be seen throughout the town: Carpenter Gothic, Queen Anne, and Italianate with a rare Colonial Revival example. The commercial strip developed in the early 20th century and are of frame construction built directly on the road. The historic district is visually unified by the nearly ubiquitous wooden frame construction, by the consistent scale of the house, lots, and their relation to the banks of the creek, by the tremendous live oak trees that permeate the town, and by the relative absence of contemporary commercial intrusions. Listed in the National Register March 23, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 23, 1982
Reference number
82003845
Architectural styles
Victorian: Gothic; Victorian: Italianate; Victorian: Queen Anne
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Camp
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
ca. 1860; 1925
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 105
Non-contributing buildings: 39

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 23, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources