Col. Elias Earle Historic District

Earle, James, N. Main, and Rutherford Sts., Greenville, South Carolina

Photos 

800 N. Main St.

Constructed: 1910

Photo taken by Michael Miller in December 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Colonel Elias Earle Historic District is significant for its mixture of early twentieth century architecture. The district was originally part of the estate of Colonel Elias Earle, a prominent early nineteenth century Greenville citizen. After 1900, the area was subdivided into residential lots and houses began being built in the area soon afterwards. Following the demand for textile products during World War I, Greenville experienced a building boom and the James-Earle Street area became a major middle class neighborhood. Most of the homes in the district were built during the 1920s by businessmen who prospered in the post-war era. The district contains excellent examples of Colonial Revival, Bungalow, Neo-Classical and Tudor Revival housing as well as many vernacular forms. The district contains eighty-seven properties of which a large percentage are residential. The district is well intact with few intrusions and most buildings share uniform setback. The majority of the districtís buildings were constructed between 1915 and 1930 and are one to two stories in height, of brick and frame construction. Listed in the National Register July 1, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 1, 1982
Reference number
82003856
NR name
Earle, Col. Elias, Historic District
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival; American Movement: Bungalow/Craftsman; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1800-1824; 1925-1949
Significant years
1810; 1915; 1930
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 74
Non-contributing buildings: 12

Update Log 

  • December 5, 2018: New photos from Michael Miller
  • September 10, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 10, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources