Leesville College Historic District

Railroad Ave., College, Peachtree, King, and Lee Sts., Leesville, South Carolina

Photos 

Old Leesville College, College St.

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Leesville College Historic District is historically significant for its association with two early Leesville schools. The district includes the first school in Leesville, the Busbee Brothers’ School, founded in 1878, and three buildings associated with the Leesville English and Classical Institute, founded in 1881, which became Leesville College in 1890. Also included in the district are residences constructed by persons associated with the schools. The district includes twenty-eight residential and institutional properties, in a contiguous neighborhood that is separated by an intervening block of new commercial development from the town’s Main Street commercial core to the south. The district evolved as a residential enclave around the Busbee Brothers’ School and the Leesville English and Classical Institute. Frame construction, weatherboarded, with varying articulations of ornamental trim, is ubiquitous. The houses of the district cover a wide range of Victorian vernacular forms, from modest cottage to elaborate residence, but the scale of the buildings, the materials, the setbacks are consistent. Other stylistic examples include Queen Anne, Gothic Revival, and Neo-Classical. Listed in the National Register July 6, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 6, 1982
Reference number
82003889
Architectural styles
Victorian; Other architectural type; Victorian Vernacular Styles
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
College; Single dwelling; School
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1878; 1883
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 28
Non-contributing buildings: 11

Update Log 

  • September 24, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources