Johnston Historic District

Calhoun, Edisto, Lee, Mims, Jackson, Church and Addison Sts., Edgefield, South Carolina

Historic commercial & residential district in Johnson, SC

Photos 

Former Bank of Johnston

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Johnston Historic District is composed of 146 properties within and adjacent to the town of Johnston. Centrally located in the historic district is the three-block long commercial area around which are several residential neighborhoods. The commercial and residential properties that form the district reflect the period of Johnston’s greatest growth—from approximately 1880 to 1920—and include a variety of architectural designs such as Italianate, Second Empire, Victorian, Queen Anne, and Neo-Classical. The district also includes three churches and the town’s cemetery. The railroad, which passes through Johnston, was the primary cause for the creation of the town and continues to be a daily reminder of the town’s early transportation history. When the railroad was constructed it passed directly through a plantation owned by Dr. Edward J. Mims, and today this land makes up much of the town of Johnston. The railroad station was named “Johnston” in honor of the president of the Charlotte-Columbia-Augusta Railroad. Mim’s son Matthew Hansford Mims reputedly laid out the town, and his plan designated Johnston as an area one-mile square with its mid-point at the intersection of Lee and Calhoun Streets. Parallel and perpendicular streets also were designated and each block was divided into four one-acre lots. Listed in the National Register August 25, 1983.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 25, 1983
Reference number
83002193
Architectural style
Victorian
Areas of significance
Other; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 127
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 16
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 54
Non-contributing structures: 1
Non-contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing objects: 1

Update Log 

  • August 12, 2015: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 29, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • October 30, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"

Sources