West Gervais Street Historic District

Roughly bounded by Gadsen, Senate, Park, and Lady Sts., Columbia, South Carolina

Photos 

West Gervais Street Historic District

Located on Senate Street, literally, near Gadsen in Columbia, SC is Adluh Flour, still an operating flour mill in 2013.

Photo taken by Joseph Hinson

View this photo on Flickr

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

The West Gervais Street Historic District, located along sections of West Gervais Street, Park Street, Lady Street, Lincoln Street, and Gadsden Street, is a collection of fifty-seven commercial, warehouse, and light industrial properties which represents the largest intact group of older business property within South Carolina’s capital city. The forty-one contributing properties in the district date from ca. 1846 to the 1930s. The number of properties within the district that retain their individual historic or architectural integrity imbues the district itself with an unusually strong integrity of setting and character. The buildings are of small scale, one to three stories, with all facades subdivided by stories and bays. They are uniformly of brick construction. The beginnings of development in the area came with the evolution of Gervais Street into the city’s principal western artery following the 1827 construction of the Congaree River Bridge and establishment ca. 1846 of the South Carolina Railroad Depot. Subsequent rail lines also centered on Gervais Street until the construction ca. 1902 of Union Station making Gervais Street the state’s chief rail transportation nexus. The area also contained the city’s gas works built ca. 1869, the first electric light plant built ca. 1891, and the street railway company barn built ca. 1886. The eighteen buildings constructed between 1900 and 1915 visually reflect the district’s part in Columbia’s growth as a major center for transportation and trade during that period. Listed in the National Register April 27, 1983. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 27, 1983
Reference number
83002206
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce; Transportation; Education; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Warehouse; Business
Current functions
Business; Warehouse
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 40
Non-contributing buildings: 17

Update Log 

  • October 20, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • February 15, 2013: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson

Sources