The College Avanue Historic District includes several residential and academic properties
"By the 1840's [sic], a limestone quarry was operating in the vicinity of the district. Initially operated by Lyman Goodnow, these quarries provided the fine grained Niagara dolomite for many of the significant buildings in Waukesha. The Barnes Brothers also operated the quarries in the area, the house at 108 N. Barstow was one of the products of their quarries.
"The College Avenue area was sparsely populated prior to the 1880's. The development of the area apparently coincided with the growth of Carroll College. The college had been chartered by the the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature in 1846, and was the first college in the territory, having developed from the earlier Prairieville Academy, founded in 184O. Financial difficulties forced the closing of the school on three separate occasions; however, Carroll college survived and began a period of growth during the late l880's [sic]. In 1885 fire destroyed the original Main Hall, but it was replaced by the present building (dedicated in 1887), which has continued to serve as a symbol of Carroll College.
"The neighborhood which developed around Carroll College was composed of homes of Waukesha's businessmen, including lumber dealers, engineers, and attorneys. Generally the residential buildings are significant as representative examples of types or periods of construction, rather than for association with notable persons."
From the Intensive Inventory Form submitted to the National Park Service for inclusion of the district on the National Register of Historic Places, approved in 1983.