Aiken Winter Colony Historic District III

Roughly bounded by Edgefield Ave., Highland Park Dr., Fauburg, and Greenville St., Aiken, South Carolina

Photos 

Joye Cottage/Dyches Cottage - Built Ca. 1900

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street Views 

Description 

Aiken Winter Colony Historic District III is important as an intact collection of residences constructed for and rented by winter residents. The district consists of forty-two properties constructed between ca. 1889 and ca. 1930. The properties include Aiken Preparatory School and residences, which range from one-story cottages to large estates with dependencies, located along tree-lined streets, many of which are divided by park-like medians. Nine of the properties in the district are not associated with the Winter Colony theme, but are similar to many of the more modest properties and contribute visually to the character of the district. Primary architectural stylistic influences include the Colonial Revival, Classical Revival, Victorian, Bungalow, and Queen Anne. Aiken Preparatory School, established in 1916 by Louise Eustis Hitchcock for the sons of winter residents, drew many colonists to this area. Two of the properties in the district are cottages associated with the Palmetto Inn, which is no longer standing. Listed in the National Register November 27, 1984. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 27, 1984
Reference number
84000508
Architectural styles
Victorian: Queen Anne; Victorian: Shingle Style
Areas of significance
Entertainment/Recreation; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; School
Current functions
Single dwelling; School
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
ca. 1889; 1930
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 33
Non-contributing buildings: 10

Update Log 

  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 6, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street Views"

Sources