Clinton Commercial Historic District

Main, Broad, Pitts, Musgrove and Gary Sts., Clinton, South Carolina

Photos 

Clinton Confederate Monument

Photo taken by Michael Miller in November 2015

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Clinton Commercial Historic District is a collection of thirty-seven contributing properties centrally located in Clinton. The district is comprised of late nineteenth and early twentieth century buildings associated with the commercial life of the city. Commercial buildings are predominant, but the district also contains two bank buildings; a five-section warehouse; a former city hall; a large, industrial building; a Masonic temple; and a small, landscaped park. The district is locally significant as a tangible record of the period of Clinton’s greatest commercial growth from the 1870s to the 1930s. Buildings in the district display a variety of architectural features, including ornamental brickwork of the Victorian era, pressed-metal cornices and ceilings of the early twentieth century, and geometric designs of the Art Moderne style. The city of Clinton was founded in 1852 on the Laurens Railroad, which was then under construction. In September of that year, twenty-eight lots were sold and the town soon developed into a trading center for the surrounding agricultural area. The name Clinton was chosen to honor Henry Clinton Young of Laurens, who was active in the movement to construct the railroad. Listed in the National Register November 15, 1984. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 15, 1984
Reference number
84000577
Architectural style
Modern Movement: Moderne
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Department store; Financial institution; Business
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1875; 1935
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 37
Non-contributing buildings: 11

Update Log 

  • November 20, 2015: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • September 18, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources