Lancaster Downtown Historic District

S. Main, Gay, and Catawba Sts., Lancaster, South Carolina

Photos 

Lancaster Downtown Historic District

A historical marker denoting the Lancaster Downtown Historic District. In the background is part of Ralph Waldrop's "The Spirit of Lancaster" mural.

Photo taken by Joseph Hinson

View this photo on Flickr

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Beginning in the 1880s, a number of commercial buildings were constructed in the block of Main Street just south of the courthouse. The Lancaster Downtown Historic District is located along portions of a three-block section of South Main Street in downtown Lancaster and consists of twelve buildings constructed between ca. 1880 and ca. 1935. The district includes brick commercial buildings as well as the United States Post Office, the Springs Block, the Farmersí Bank and Trust Company Building, and the Bank of Lancaster/Opera House. The district is significant as the most intact section of Lancasterís early business area. Some of the properties are fine examples of commercial architecture. As early as 1799, a Lancaster County Courthouse was located on the present lot, and it is likely that commercial buildings as well as residences were located in the immediate vicinity. By the 1880s a number of commercial properties had been constructed in the block of Main Street just south of the courthouse. It was not until after 1900 that further commercial development occurred in the area of Main Street which comprises the district. Listed in the National Register August 8, 1984. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 9, 1984
Reference number
84002048
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Business
Current function
Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
ca. 1880; 1935
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 12
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • August 26, 2018: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson
  • September 18, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • September 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • December 2, 2012: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson
  • November 30, 2012: Photo imported by Joseph Hinson

Related landmarks 

Sources