Historic Third Ward District

Bounded by the Milwaukee River, C and NW RR, and E. St. Paul and N. Jackson Sts., Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Former industrial and warehouse district converted to upscale living, shopping and nightlife

Photos 

Entrance Arch

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in April 2014

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The former warehouse district and commission row has evolved into an upscale, trendy neighborhood of condominiums, restaurants, clubs, theater groups and the arts. It is home to the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design (MIAD) and a mixture of new construction and preserved history.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 8, 1984
Reference number
84003724
Architectural style
Victorian
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Restaurant; Warehouse
Current functions
Business; Warehouse
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Significant years
1875; 1934
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 71
Non-contributing buildings: 7

Tags 

19th Century (38,102)
Brick (42,466)
Built 1875 (473)
Built during 1870s (5,064)
District (10,642)
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (325)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (163)
Stone (26,167)
Terra cotta (3,922)
Victorian (19,703)
Wisconsin (2,627)

Update Log 

  • July 3, 2014: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources