Cathedral Historic District

Roughly bounded by a bluffline running W. of Bluff St., W. 7th, Locust and Jones Sts., Dubuque, Iowa

Photos 

Cathedral Saint Raphael

This is the heart of the Cathedral Historic District, located on the corner of 2nd and Bluff in Dubuque, across Bluff Street from Cathedral Square.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in May 2013

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 25, 1985
Reference number
85002501
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian: Italianate; Federal
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; Religious structure; Church school
Current functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; Religious structure; Church school
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1850; 1900; 1905
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 96
Non-contributing buildings: 26

Tags 

19th Century (36,347)
Brick (42,457)
Built 1850 (456)
Built during 1850s (4,574)
District (10,141)
Dubuque County, Iowa (71)
Dubuque, Iowa (51)
Exotic Revival (7,377)
Federal (4,557)
Iowa (2,457)
Italianate (5,025)
Mid 19th Century Revival (7,958)
Stone (26,162)
Victorian (19,690)

Update Log 

  • May 30, 2013: New photos from J.R. Manning

Related landmarks 

  • Redstone (Contributing resource) - The Redstone is a Bed & Breakfast with its own NRHP Listing and entry on Landmark Hunter
  • Fenelon Place Elevator (Contributing resource) - Also known as the 4th Street Elevator, this landmark has its own NRHP Listing and entry on Landmark Hunter
  • Washington Park (Contributing resource) - The park in on the far north end of the historic district
  • J. H. Thedinga House (Contributing resource) - The house is on the corner of 5th and Bluff Streets and has its own NRHP entry and listing on Landmark Hunter

Sources