South Main Historic District

S. Main between E. Harris and W. Ridge Sts., Bishopville, South Carolina

Photos 

Deschamps House, 327 S. Main St.

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The South Main Street Historic District consists of eleven residences constructed between ca. 1880 and ca. 1925. The district is the best remaining concentration of historic residential architecture in Bishopville. The district evolved after 1880 when the community grew as a cotton shipping and trading center, and later as a county seat. Many of the houses along South Main were built by the town’s merchants and government officials. The district contains a fine grouping of late nineteenth and early twentieth century residences reflecting the vernacular Queen Anne, Colonial Revival and Bungalow styles. While there are small groupings of turn-of-the-century residences in Bishopville, the South Main District is the largest and most cohesive center of historic residential architecture in the community. Listed in the National Register January 9, 1986. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 9, 1986
Reference number
86000048
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival; American Movement: Bungalow/Craftsman; Victorian: Queen Anne
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
District
Historic function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 11

Update Log 

  • September 22, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources