Plankinton--Wells--Water Street Historic District

Roughly bounded by Wells, Bridge, N. Water, E. Mason, W. Wells, and N. Second Sts., Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Photos 

Looking North Along the Milwaukee River

That's the Wells Street bridge in the distance, marking the north end of the historic district.

To the right of the bridge is the Oneida Street Power Station, on the NRHP itself. The decommissioned power house is now a part of the theater district.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in September 2013

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 13, 1986
Reference number
86001328
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian; Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Commerce; Engineering; Ethnic Heritage - European; Politics/Government; Architecture; Communications; Performing Arts
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Professional; Specialty store; Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1868; 1921
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 17
Non-contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing structures: 1

Tags 

19th Century (38,102)
Brick (42,466)
Built 1868 (366)
Built during 1860s (3,797)
District (10,642)
European heritage (999)
Exotic Revival (7,381)
Henry C. Koch (17)
Italianate (5,120)
Mid 19th Century Revival (7,958)
Milwaukee County, Wisconsin (325)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin (163)
Slate (5,715)
Stone (26,167)
Terra cotta (3,922)
Victorian (19,703)
Wisconsin (2,627)

Update Log 

  • September 14, 2013: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated Status and Added Photos

Sources