Downtown Auburn Historic District

Also known as: Auburn Central Business District
Roughly bounded by E. and W. Fourth, N. and S. Cedar, E. Twelfth, and N. and S. Jackson Sts., Auburn, Indiana

Map 

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 10, 1986
Reference number
86002858
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival; Victorian; Other architectural type; Romanesque Revival;Colonial
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Business
Current functions
Correctional facility; Single dwelling; Business; Courthouse
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Significant years
1870; 1936
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 52
Non-contributing buildings: 18

Tags 

19th Century (37,782)
Auburn, Indiana (4)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1870 (563)
Built during 1870s (5,017)
Classical Revival (4,565)
De Kalb County, Indiana (28)
District (10,507)
Indiana (2,139)
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival (16,279)
Limestone (8,192)
Mahurin & Mahurin (1)
Slate (5,715)
Stucco (7,816)
Victorian (19,698)

Sources