Howell Downtown Historic District

Roughly bounded by Clinton, Barnard, Sibley, and Chestnut Sts., Howell, Michigan

Photos 

Almont Whipple Building

Built in 1848, now a real estate office.

Photo taken by Jim Allen in March 2013

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The Livingston County courthouse & the Ann Arbor Railway depot are listed separately.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 27, 1987
Reference number
86003363
Architectural styles
Mixed architectural types; Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Specialty store; Business
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 45
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 14
Non-contributing objects: 1

Tags 

A.C. Varney (1)
Brick (42,462)
District (10,528)
Howell, Michigan (6)
Italianate (5,114)
Livingston County, Michigan (16)
Michigan (1,955)
Mixed architectural types (311)
Stone (26,160)
Victorian (19,698)

Update Log 

  • June 26, 2013: New photos from Jim Allen
  • April 3, 2013: Updated by Jim Allen: Added description
  • April 3, 2013: New photos from Jim Allen
  • January 29, 2013: New photos from Jim Allen

Related landmarks 

Sources