Historic Sixth Street Business District

Roughly bounded by Water St. and Fifth St., Main Seventh St., and Grand Ave., Racine, Wisconsin

The gateway to Racine's downtown commercial district

Photos 

The Gateway to Racine

This wedge-shaped lot was home to a filling station for several decades. In 1986, it was converted to a park in the memory of Paul P. Harris, the founder of Rotary International. Harris was born in Racine in 1868. Sixth Street (to the left) is one way west to here, Seventh Street is one way east. The two converge at the camera position.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning, February 2017

Map 

Description 

The district has been expanded since the application was first submitted to the NPS for inclusion on the NRHP. It encompasses most of the initial plat of Racine and the later harbor addition.

On the west end of the district is a triangular lot that was home of a filling station for many years. It was dedicated in 1986 to the memory of Paul P. Harris, the founder of Rotary International. Harris was born in Racine in 1868.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 24, 1988
Reference number
88000263
Architectural styles
American Movement: Prairie School; Modern Movement: Art Deco; Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 59
Contributing sites: 1
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 17

Update Log 

  • February 25, 2017: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • February 20, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and photos

Sources