Caves Valley Historic District

Also known as: The Caves, The Caves Valley
Caves and Garrison Forest Rds., and Park Heights Ave., Owings Mills, Maryland


Blendon Estate


Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress



The Blendon Estate has been cited by registration form for the Caves Valley National Register Historic District as "a contributing resource with a high level of integrity and historic and architectural significance to the nomination." The significance of the 110-acre tract lies in its origins as part of "The Caves" estate of the Carroll family. Dr. Charles Carroll acquired the land in the early 18th century, and his descendants operated a 2,500-acre farm in the Caves Valley until the 1890's. Despite the subdivision of the Caves property into smaller country estates in the early 20th century, the open, rural character of the 19th century farm has continued. Operation of the Blendon Estate, created by Richard E. Breed, 3rd, in the 1930's, has centered on the Breed-Krongard house, which stands at the top of a hill overlooking the former Caves tract, and on the hay barn and tenant house. The latter two buildings represent uses that have continued on the Blendon tract since the mid-19th century. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MD-994)

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 20, 1988
Reference number
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival; Georgian; Other architectural type; Georgian Revival
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural outbuildings; Agricultural fields; Forest; Animal facility; Extractive facility
Current functions
Natural feature; Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Agricultural fields; Animal facility; Forest; Agricultural outbuildings
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1700-1749; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 42
Contributing structures: 7
Contributing sites: 14
Contributing objects: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 11
Non-contributing structures: 12