Cole Historic District

501 and 517 Monroe St. and 504, 508, and 516-518 Water St., Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin

Photos 

Thorpe Hotel

Overview Looking Southwest

"First hotel built in Sheboygan Falls. During Charles Cole's day, the hotel was run on a strictly Temperance basis. The Greek Revival Structure was built in 1846."

Historic Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin brochure,
Sheboygan Falls Chamber-Main Street, Inc.

Photo taken by J.R. Manning May 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"The Cole Historic District is one of the few remaining historic districts in the state of Wisconsin to display the early development of a Wisconsin community from the 1830s and 1840s. The district's two residences, mill house and hotel, built between 1837 and 1848 in Greek Revival style, were owned by pioneer settler and entrepreneur Charles D. Cole. After the construction of the Sheboygan river bridge in 1839, this area declined and the City of Sheboygan Falls developed on the west side of the river."

Historic Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin brochure,
Sheboygan Falls Chamber-Main Street, Inc.

(Some photo captions are from this brochure, each so noted.)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 1, 1988
Reference number
88002696
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Other architectural type; Cross-gabled
Area of significance
Exploration/Settlement
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
District
Historic functions
Hotel; Single dwelling; Specialty store
Current functions
Professional; Hotel; Multiple dwelling; Restaurant
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1915; 1837; 1848
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5

Update Log 

  • May 10, 2018: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • May 9, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, added description and added photos

Sources