Cooper Street Historic District

Cooper St. from 2nd to 7th Sts., Camden, New Jersey

Photos 

Abraham S. Ackley House

1. VIEW SOUTHEAST, COOPER STREET WITH #406 IN FOREGROUND

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

The Charles G. Carpenter House is a key structure in the Cooper Street National Register Historic District. It was constructed in 1868, with Stephen D. Button of Philadelphia as architect. As a significant local example of Italianate style residential architecture, the Carpenter house contributes to the Coop Street Historic District's character as a physical manifestation of Camden's developmental history. In 1926, the house became the Murray Funeral Home. The premises were enlarged by construction of an annex to the east, and both the original house its associated carriage house were remodeled to serve mortuary. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS NJ-989)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 7, 1989
Reference number
89001057
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian; Federal
Areas of significance
Community Planning and Development; Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Professional; Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling
Current functions
Business; Multiple dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849; 1925-1949
Significant year
1926
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 74
Non-contributing buildings: 12

Sources