Calumet Historic District

Area W of MI 26 S of Calumet Lake to Osceola, Calumet, Michigan

Map 

Description 

Allegedly in 1875, the Miscowaubik Club building was constructed as a dwelling for a Calumet and Hecla Company chief mining engineer, Thomas Hoatson. The rectangular plan measured approximately 108'7" x 83'2', and the two-and one-half-story, wood frame entity rising up from this footprint was covered by a gable roof. The structure was converted into a private club in 1903 by the firm Parker, Thomas and Rice along with the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company's architectural department. By the mid-1970s, the frame building had suffered from some incompatible exterior remodeling and extensive interior renovations. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MI-276)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 28, 1989
Reference number
89001097
Areas of significance
Industry; Engineering
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Manufacturing facility; Extractive facility; Processing site
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949

Sources