Clemson University Historic District II

Center of campus, Clemson, South Carolina

Historic college campus district in Clemson, SC

Photos 

Fort Hill

Photo taken by Michael Miller

Enlarge

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

Clemson University Historic District II includes seven historic resources (three academic buildings, a residence and associated office, and an outdoor theater) located on the Clemson University Campus. It is significant for its association with the Calhoun and Clemson families and for its association with the founding, development, and growth of Clemson University, which has played a major role in higher education in South Carolina since its founding in 1889. The district is also significant as an intact collection of late nineteenth century and early twentieth century educational buildings at a state-supported land grant university. Contributing properties include: Fort Hill (c.1830), John C. Calhoun Office (c. 1825), Hardin Hall (1890), Trustee House (1904), Riggs Hall (1927), Sirrine Hall (1938), and Outdoor Theater (1940). Styles include Renaissance Revival, Queen Anne, and Art Deco. Riggs Hall and Sirrine Hall were designed by Rudolph E. Lee, a Clemson graduate and chair of the Department of Architecture. Listed in the National Register January 4, 1990. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1990
Reference number
89002139
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Victorian
Areas of significance
Education; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
College; Single dwelling; Theater; Park; Educational related housing
Current functions
Museum; College; Park; Theater; Educational related housing
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849; 1925-1949
Significant years
1803; 1825; 1889
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • October 3, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • November 10, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"
  • November 10, 2013: New photo from Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources