Wharton County Courthouse Historic Commercial District

Roughly bounded by the alley N of Milam St., Rusk St., Elm St. and Richmond St., Wharton, Texas


National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 5, 1991
Reference number
Architectural styles
Modern Movement: Moderne; Victorian: Italianate; Victorian: Romanesque
Areas of significance
Commerce; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Hotel; Single dwelling; Government office; Business
Current functions
Single dwelling; Business; Government office
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 46
Contributing objects: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 31
Non-contributing objects: 2


Brick (42,458)
District (10,262)
Italianate (5,066)
Jules Leffland (19)
Modern Movement (2,551)
Moderne (713)
Romanesque (2,711)
Stucco (7,816)
Texas (3,597)
Victorian (19,696)
Wharton County, Texas (37)
Wharton, Texas (31)
Wyatt C. Hedrick (12)