Marshall Michigan Historic Landmark District

Roughly bounded by Plum St., East Dr., Forest St. and Hanover St., Marshall, Michigan

Photos 

117 East Michigan Avenue (Commercial Building)

1. DETAIL OF SOUTH (FRONT) ENTRANCE

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Description 

A simple representative mid-19th century cottage with interesting architectural details, now somewhat altered. Under the ownership of Judge George Ingersoll, the house was reputed to have been involved in the "underground highway." -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MI-239)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 17, 1991
Reference number
91002053
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival; Victorian; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Specialty store; Religious structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure; Specialty store; Religious structure
Periods of significance
1825-1849; 1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 787
Contributing sites: 3
Contributing objects: 4
Non-contributing buildings: 69

Sources