Fort Mill Downtown Historic District

Main St. from Confederate Park E to 233 Main, Fort Mill, South Carolina

Photos 

Confederate Park: Confederate Soldiers Monument

In the background is the Catawba Indian Monument

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Fort Mill Downtown Historic District is made up of an important collection of commercial buildings that have formed the nucleus of business activity in the town. The buildings provide evidence of the various periods of growth and development in Fort Mill. Twenty-two contributing and four noncontributing resources comprise the district. The district consists predominantly of masonry one and two-story commercial buildings facing Main Street and constructed between 1860 and 1940. It also included Confederate Park and its Bandstand, an important open and public space at the western end of the district. The period of significance of the district begins shortly after the development of the railroad stop at Fort Mill in 1852. The properties as a whole possess historic integrity and provide a record of the development of the downtown area. Listed in the National Register June 11, 1992. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 11, 1992
Reference number
92000646
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Department store; Restaurant; Plaza; Specialty store; Financial institution
Current functions
Specialty store; Plaza
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 16
Contributing structures: 1
Contributing sites: 1
Contributing objects: 4
Non-contributing buildings: 4

Update Log 

  • October 27, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 27, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources