West End Commercial Historic District

Also known as: West End
Roughly, jct. of Pendleton, River, Augusta and S. Main Sts. and E along Main to Camperdown Way, Greenville, South Carolina

Photos 

American Bank

Constructed: ca. 1890

Photo taken by Michael Miller in February 2021

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA)

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The West End Commercial Historic District is significant as Greenville’s second “downtown,” with historic resources dating from ca. 1869 to ca. 1939, the majority of which date from the 1880s to the 1920s, a period of extensive development in the area. The district is architecturally significant for its notable examples of Victorian commercial buildings on the first block of Pendleton Street and for its twentieth century commercial buildings along South Main Street. The district consists of 21 commercial properties, 15 of which are contributing to the character of the district. Located south of the Reedy River, major commercial development began after the Civil War near Furman University and the Greenville and Columbia Railroad depot. By the 1890s the first block of Pendleton Street, (now S. Main St.), was a flourishing commercial area. To the north, Chicora College (1893-1915), a Presbyterian school for women, was established on “McBee’s Terrace” overlooking the Reedy River. South Main Street from modern-day Camperdown Way south to River Street developed following World War I, after Chicora burned in 1919 and its former property was commercially developed. Listed in the National Register January 7, 1993; Boundary increase May 29, 1998. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 7, 1993
Reference number
92001751
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Professional; Financial institution
Current function
Financial institution
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 14
Non-contributing buildings: 6

Update Log 

  • February 22, 2021: New photos from Michael Miller
  • September 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources