Baldwin Hills Village

Also known as: The Village Green
5300 Village Green, Loa Angeles, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The idea for Baldwin Hills Village originated in the 1930s when prominent Los Angeles architect Reginald Johnson (1882-1952) decided to create a new type of community. The intent was to provide affordable housing to help the nation recover from the devastation of the Great Depression. Constructed between 1935 and 1942, Baldwin Hills incorporates mature "garden city" planning concepts and an elegant beaux-art design. The community's plan has received many awards and national recognition for its advances in community planning and architecture. The 64 acre property contains 162 contributing resources that date from the 1935-1942 period of significance. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, January 3, 2001

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 1, 1993
Reference number
93000269
Architectural styles
Other architectural type; Modern Movement; California Style
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Community Planning and Development; Social History; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Garden; Plaza; Secondary structure; Clubhouse; Pedestrian related
Current functions
Clubhouse; Pedestrian related; Secondary structure; Garden
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1942
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 97
Non-contributing buildings: 87

Update Log 

  • June 16, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources