Appleton Lock 4 Historic District

Fox R. at John St., Appleton, Wisconsin

One of seventeen locks on the lower Fox River

Photos 

Upriver Gate

Photo taken by J.R. Manning June 2017

Map 

Description 

Appleton Lock #4 is the hub of a historic district that is comprised of the lock itself, a dam, a segment of the navigation canal and several structures that supported the lock tender. (Modern sheds are considered non-contributing.)

The lock is located at mile 30.7 on the lower Fox River, east of downtown Appleton and the College Avenue viaduct carried Wis 125 over the district. Recent developemnt in the area includes retail, restaurants, a clinic, a brewpub and a coffee shop. An adjacent hydro-electric takes water from the navigation channel.

The lock is 144 feet in length and 35 feet wide. It lifts 7.6 feet. The original lock was built in 1856 and rebuilt in 1907 and again in 2006.

The concrete dam is 549 feet long, it was built in 1934-35 to replace a previous dam.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 7, 1993
Reference number
93001329
Areas of significance
Transportation; Engineering
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Water-related
Current function
Water-related
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1907; 1935
Number of properties
Contributing structures: 3
Non-contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • June 20, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated listing, added description and added photos

Sources