A T-shaped residential area that includes 148 upscale houses and two church complexes
"West Washington Boulevard™ is a broad, linear street distinguished by a landscaped, grassy median strip about 30 feet wide that separates the roadways. North Hi-Mount Boulevard is a broad, curvilinear roadway approximately 50 feet in width and is set apart from the surrounding neighborhood by large, residential lots, deep, uniform setbacks, and very wide grassy planting strips between the curbs and the paved sidewalks.
" ™ The boulevard itself is counted as a contributing structure.
"One of the most important landscape features of N. Hi-Mount Boulevard is a pair of dressed limestone gate posts located at the W. Lloyd Street intersection that mark, the historic, northern terminus of the boulevard. The gateway, believed to have been erected by the boulevard's original developers, is composed of massive, turned limestone balusters and large, dressed limestone piers topped with copper lanterns. The gate posts are a rare landscape feature within the context of Milwaukee streetscapes and emphasize the exclusive character of N. Hi-Mount Boulevard. They are included in the property count as a contributing structure.
"The district includes a total of 148 contributing buildings. It is entirely residential in character with the exception of two large church complexes clustered in the vicinity of N. 54th Street on W. Washington Boulevard. There are 115 buildings on Washington Boulevard, mostly single family houses, but there are also a few duplex and multi-family residences. Five of the six noncontributing structures were built less than 50 years ago, and another has been altered and no longer retains its historic character.
"Although the first house was built on W. Washington Boulevard in 1913, the principal period of development was between the years of 1920 and 1935. Brick and stucco are the primary exterior cladding materials for buildings on W. Washington Boulevard, but there are a few wood-sided houses as well, particularly west of N. 55th Street. Many roofs on W. Washington Boulevard are sheathed with Spanish- or Roman-style terra cotta tiles or slate.
"North Hi-Mount Boulevard is exclusively residential and is very consistent in terms of architectural character partly because of its short period of development and partly because of the restrictive covenants that dictated basic construction standards. In contrast to the concentration of 1920s and 1930s era homes on W. Washington Boulevard, the homes on N. Hi-Mount Boulevard are slightly older. Of the 42 houses included in the N. Hi-Mount Boulevard portion of the historic district, 36 of them, or 85 percent, were built during a 7-year period between 1912 and 1919. The last house built on N. Hi-Mount Boulevard was constructed in 1925. Most of the houses were architect-designed for specific owners rather than built on speculation. The buildings on N. HiMount Boulevard are constructed of brick or stucco, or a combination of brick with stucco or wooden shingles. Most roofs are topped with slate, flat terra cotta tiles, or cement asbestos shingles. Today the houses and churches in the district appear much the same as they did when they were built. Few alterations have been made to the majority of the houses, which are generally well maintained."
Condensed and adapted from the National Register of Historic Places Registration Form submitted to the National Park Service for inclusion of the district on the National Register of Historic Places, dated September, 1992, prepared by Paul Jakubovich and Les Volmert on behalf of the City of Milwaukee, Department of City Development.