Virginia Kendall State Park Historic District

Also known as: Lake Shelter, Octagon Shelter, Ledges Shelter, Ritchie Ledges, P
701, 801, 1000 Truxell Rd. and 434 W. Streetsboro, Peninsula, Ohio

Photos 

GENERAL VIEW LOOKING NORTH

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

The district has 4 main locations: the Ledges area, the Octagon area, the Kendall Lake area, and the Happy Days Day Camp (now Happy Days Visitor Center).

Structures such as the Ledges shelter made the Cuyahoga Valley area more accessible for recreational use. These buildings represent the work of the Civilian Conservation Corps in the area. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS OH-2303)

In addition to the buildings and structures, there are 5 sites that contribute to the historic nature. They are the State Park itself, the Ledges Steps, Quarry, & Overlook, and the Toboggan Run Ruins.

Hayward Kendall willed this area to the state for use as a park in the late 1920s. The state gave management authority to the Akron Metropolitan Park Board in 1933 and by the end of the year the Civilian Conservation Corps started construction of a camp at the site of the Happy Days Visitor Center. The CCC continued to develop the park through 1939. The park is now a part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 2, 1997
Reference number
96001515
NR name
Kendall, Virginia, State Park Historic District
Areas of significance
Architecture; Landscape Architecture; Entertainment/Recreation; Politics/Government; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Outdoor recreation
Current function
Outdoor recreation
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant years
1933; 1936; 1938
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 13
Contributing structures: 4
Contributing sites: 5
Contributing objects: 3
Non-contributing buildings: 9
Non-contributing structures: 3
Non-contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing objects: 8

Update Log 

  • August 22, 2015: Updated by Jim Allen: added to description
  • May 19, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources