Elkhart Downtown Commercial Historic District

Roughly along Main St., roughly bounded by E. Jackson, and Second Sts., Waterfall Dr., and Tyler Ave., Elkhart, Indiana

Photos 

Masonic Temple & Dreves building

100 block of 2nd Street.

Photo taken by Jim Allen in June 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Three buildings in the district, the Lerner Theater, the Green Block, & the YWCA were previously listed in the NRHP.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 26, 1997
Reference number
97001178
Architectural styles
Victorian: Italianate; Victorian: Queen Anne; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Business; Financial institution; Specialty store; Department store; Civic; Post office
Current functions
Business; Financial institution; Specialty store; Department store; Theater; Museum; Multiple dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1868; 1930
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 59
Non-contributing buildings: 21
Non-contributing objects: 3

Tags 

19th Century (36,686)
Brick (42,459)
Built 1868 (354)
Built during 1860s (3,633)
Classical Revival (4,524)
District (10,300)
Elkhart County, Indiana (38)
Elkhart, Indiana (13)
Enoch Hill Turnock (2)
Indiana (2,059)
Italianate (5,077)
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival (16,281)
Limestone (8,192)
Private owner (54,396)
Queen Anne (5,086)
Stone (26,162)
Victorian (19,696)

Update Log 

  • June 23, 2015: New photos from Jim Allen
  • June 26, 2014: New photos from Jim Allen
  • July 16, 2013: Updated by Jim Allen: Added description

Related landmarks 

Sources