Jackson Historic District

Roughly along College, Forest, and Carroll Aves., bounded by Cedar, Florida, Commerce, Clinton, and Spruce Sts., Jackson, Alabama

A historic district in Jackson, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

The Jackson Historic District is a historic district in the city of Jackson, Alabama. Jackson was founded in 1816 and is the oldest incorporated settlement in Clarke County. The historic district features examples of Greek Revival, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, and regional vernacular architecture. Spread over 180 acres (73 ha) with 140 contributing buildings, it is roughly bounded by College Avenue, Forest Avenue, Carroll Avenue, Cedar Street, Florida Street, Commerce Street, Clinton Street, and Spruce Street. It is a part of the Clarke County Multiple Property Submission and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 23, 1998.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 23, 1998
Reference number
97001656
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Victorian: Queen Anne; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Commerce; Community Planning and Development
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; Specialty store; Department store; Religious structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Multiple dwelling; Specialty store; Department store; Religious structure
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1886; 1896; 1915
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 140
Non-contributing buildings: 50

Update Log 

  • May 24, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added Description

Sources