Goosetown Historic District

Roughly bounded by Cedar St., Monroe St., Birch Hill Allotment, and E. Commercial Ave., Anaconda, Montana

Map 

Description 

"Goosetown Historic District - Attracted by the opportunity to work at Marcus Daly’s copper smelter, thousands of immigrants came seeking work in Anaconda. Many were from Ireland, like Daly himself, but skilled and unskilled workers also came from a myriad of foreign places. Most settled in Goosetown, a working-class neighborhood ideally located adjacent to the Anaconda foundry and the original Washoe works site, under the shadow of the Great Stack. Small inexpensive lots, simple frame workers’ cottages, boarding houses and small businesses dating mostly from 1883 to 1918 illustrate the neighborhood’s economic solidarity and working-class character. Modest homes on narrow lots with bachelor cabins at the rear, rented for a little extra income, are common throughout the district. Occasional saloons and the 1905 Washoe Brewery reflect the private commerce and industry that flourished alongside the dominant smelter-related enterprises. In addition, widows often maintained their families by operating small businesses from their homes. The Beaudette Block, the Anaconda Meat and Grocery Company and the depression-era Club Moderne are Goosetown’s most significant commercial buildings. Historic churches including the Austrian Roman Catholic, Free Swedish Mission, Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran, and Serbian Orthodox only hint at the many ethnically oriented organizations that offered comaraderie and comfort far from home. There are two schools of thought on the source of Goosetown’s name. The most widely accepted theory attributes the name to the east side bars’ practice of keeping turkeys and geese to raffle off at Thanksgiving. Another theory holds that the neighborhood’s initial freshwater system consisted of a water tap at the end of a gooseneck pipe in each residential yard." - NHRP/Montana Historical Society Plaque

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 25, 1998
Reference number
98000156
Architectural styles
Modern Movement; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival; Victorian
Areas of significance
Social History; Industry; Community Planning and Development; Commerce; Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Levels of significance
State; Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; A - Event
Property type
District
Historic functions
Military facility; Restaurant; Specialty store; Department store; Hotel; Multiple dwelling; Single dwelling
Current functions
School; Restaurant; Specialty store; Department store; Multiple dwelling; Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1925-1949; 1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant year
1895
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1063
Non-contributing buildings: 673

Update Log 

  • June 11, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added description

Sources