Norfolk and Western Railway Company Historic District

88 and 108 Jefferson St. NW, and 209 Shenandoah Ave., Roanoke, Virginia

Photos 

N&W Depot

Built in 1905, this is one of 3 buildings in the district. The upper level is now a visitor center, & the lower level is now the O. Winston Link Museum.

Photo taken by Jim Allen in May 2016

Enlarge

Map 

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 27, 1999
Reference number
99000076
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival; Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival
Areas of significance
Architecture; Commerce; Transportation
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic function
Business
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1896; 1903; 1931
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Tags 

19th Century (37,742)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1896 (594)
Built during 1890s (7,628)
Classical Revival (4,564)
District (10,497)
Granite (5,090)
Have Street View (46,006)
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival (16,279)
Private owner (54,398)
Raymond Loewy (3)
Roanoke, Virginia (62)
Slate (5,715)
Terra cotta (3,922)
Tudor Revival (1,411)
Virginia (3,633)

Update Log 

  • October 6, 2016: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • May 23, 2016: New photos from Jim Allen

Related landmarks 

Sources