Canaan Union Depot

Also known as: Union Depot
U.S. 44, North Canaan

Photos 

Canaan Depot 1

Southerly view. The re-built wing is on the left.

Photo taken by Chester Gehman in May 2016

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Canaan Union Depot was built by the two railroads that crossed here-The Housatonic Railroad running north-south, and The Connecticut Western Railroad running east-west. Each railroad operated out of a separate wing of the depot. Passenger service ended in 1971 when both lines were owned by the New Haven RR, and the station was occupied by various businesses, including a restaurant, until an arsonist set a fire that destroyed the entire southeast wing in 2001. Now partially restored, funds are lacking to complete the job.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 26, 1972
Reference number
72001317
NR name
Union Depot
Architectural style
Victorian: Gothic
Areas of significance
Transportation; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Rail-related
Current function
Rail-related
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
1872

Update Log 

  • November 21, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett
  • June 9, 2016: New photo from Chester Gehman
  • June 5, 2016: Updated by Chester Gehman: Added description, photos

Sources